Shinnen Akemashite Omedetou Gozaimasu!
Our New Year arrived with a whirlwind of activity! We ushered in the Year of the Boar with our annual Shinnen Enkai celebration. Of course, the ever-popular Shiranami Gonin Otoko performance was spectacular, thanks to the efforts of the talented seven member cast led by Kojyo Alan Wong, the five notorious dorobos – Alan Kinuhata, Jennifer Okubo Polido, Ray Tsuchiyama, Duke Ueda and Kristin Alm Kamakahi – and the cunning policeman Kevin Ching. The all-star sensei team – Bob Nagao, Ron Ushijima, Gregg Mueller and Rika Hirata – was instrumental in coaching and cajoling the cast to perform at their ultimate best. Congratulations to event co-chairs Rick Mishima and Ina Chang for a job well done!
January often signals the start of new intentions – whether it’s to exercise more, spend more time with friend and family or to lose a few holiday pounds and get in shape. No matter what your New Year’s resolution is, be sure to include the HJCC on your list of organizations to get more involved with.
Our HJCC standing committees have been busy scheduling a variety of events and activities to appeal to the wide spectrum of our membership. Here’s a quick synopsis of what each committee does and what’s on tap:
- Communications: Leads the communications efforts by strengthening the HJCC brand as well as our member and public communications plan. This group works with other standing committees to build awareness and participation of events and activities.
- Government Affairs: Provides opportunities for members to learn about legislative issues and become involved with governmental processes. Activities range from small group “lunch and learn” sessions with legislators and community leaders as well as larger forums for member and public participation. An annual membership survey is used to summarize issues and topics that are top-of-mind and the results are shared with legislators.
- Japan Business Relations: Focuses on developing and maintaining Japan/Hawaii business relationships by holding seminars and events. This group also spearheads business and trade missions to Japan
- Membership Development: Oversees the recruitment, activation and retention of HJCC members. This group plans and conducts dutch lunches, member business visitations, pau hana events and various networking mixers.
- Program and Community Affairs: Plans and coordinates activities and programs for the general membership, which include community service projects with our “Laulima” group and also serves as the caretaker of our Moiliili Torii Gate. Signature events are the annual Shinnen Enkai, General Membership Gathering and the Inauguration/Generational Awards Celebration.
- Small Business Advocacy: Leads the HJCC efforts to address the variety of needs and interests of small businesses. Among its annual events are the Business Solutions workshop and Game Changers, a panel/forum of community leaders who share their business success stories.
- Ways and Means: This is the financial engine of the HJCC and this committee’s primary task is to plan and execute fundraising events to satisfy our organizational fiscal needs. Annual events include the Samurai Classic golf tournament and the Chopsticks & Wine culinary extravaganza.
If there’s anything that piques your interest and you’d like to get more involved, please reach out to an HJCC staff member by calling 949-5531. We look forward to your contributions. Onward into 2019!
Chair of the Board
Honolulu Japanese Chamber of Commerce – 2018-2019
Regional Marketing Manager
McDonald’s Restaurants of Hawaii